Salvē! Hello!
My name is Caitlin Campbell and I want to officially welcome you to my blog, "Campbell Goes BOL-ing." I will use this blog to communicate my ideas, opinions, syntheses, products, and more. As you can tell from the blog's title and description, the blog's topic is Blended and Online Learning in Schools (BOLS), which is the 12-credit Learning Technologies in Schools (LTS) core that I will complete to finish my MEd by May 2021.
I have recently learned that "connection before content" is necessary in any online learning space. Here are some details that you can connect to who I am.
My Personal Self
I was born in Maryland and raised in Leesburg, VA, where my parents still live with my two siblings and a spoiled golden retriever named Stella. I have spent most of my life within a 1 hour radius of Loudoun County, VA. I grew up playing piano and clarinet, which I marched in high school and college. Yup, I attended 8 hours of weekday practice and Saturday game days while doing my student teaching practicum. It was quite the experience and is one of the reasons why I will defend "marching band is a sport."
After realizing that I could not realistically march for the Washington football team in Landover, MD and teach full time in northern Virginia, I discovered Latin dancing. I'm happy to give any tips you might need to learn, appreciate, and distinguish between salsa, bachata, merengue, cha-cha, and more! I met my fiancé, José, at a salsa night and we are currently planning our July 2021 wedding.
My Professional Self
I earned my BA/MT in Classics and Foreign Language Education at the University of Virginia--go 'Hoos! I returned to teach my favorite subject in Loudoun County Public Schools, the same school district that I graduated from. I teach Latin and AVID electives at Dominion High School. I have taught Latin for 8 years and AVID for 3. I am deeply involved in my school community as a sponsor of Latin Club and language honor societies, chaperone of trips to Europe and Asia, and class sponsor. I have written and revised Latin curriculum and SOLs, facilitated professional learning opportunities for teachers, and served in a leadership capacity.
| hic est Cerberus. Cerberus est canis. This is Cerberus. Cerberus is a dog. |
I am currently enrolled as a teacher-learner in the Learning Technologies in Schools graduate program with a concentration in Designing Digital Learning in Schools (DDLS) at George Mason University. I am interested in how teachers and students can use technology to participate effectively and safely online. My learning experiences in the DDLS program have changed how I design learning activities for student engagement. As a lover of all things technology, I consider which tools--digital and analog--will help my students to meet their educational goals. As education shifts into an increasingly more digital sphere, I strive to provide quality instruction with the best learning tools possible.
Where are you in your teacher-learner journey? I look forward to connecting with you in this online space.
I learned so many new things about you in this introductory blog post! I loved your reference to "BOL-ing!" More than thinking about bowling in general---lol knocking virtual pins as metaphoric obstacles during this remote learning, it brought back memories of my involvement in the Purdue Bowling club.
ReplyDeleteMcKay's was one of my favorite hangouts when they were located in Centreville. I had thought of that place in years, probably because I haven't parted with any books in the last 20 years.
Your introduction presents a variety of interests as well as what you are most passionate about. This makes you very relatable, which is highly important for online teaching. You accomplished "connection before content" and established social presence.
I like the bowling metaphor for this year; I learned from "A Hero's Journey" that metaphors can be effective tools for reaching a diverse audience. Interesting connection of pins. Some days, I feel that it's raining bowling balls 24/7 and my job is to catch and avoid them at the same time. It's going to be an interesting year.
DeleteI will also defend Marching Band as a sport!! Not only do you have to learn how to play all of the notes on your instrument, but then you have to be completely coordinated with your steps. It amazes me how it all comes together on a football field! Bravo!
ReplyDeleteYes, thank you! I still find myself doing roll steps or slides; band never truly leaves you.
Delete